By Erin Laytham Lentz
Sourcing fun things to do in Fall in the Lowcountry is a breeze. The area, rich in history, traditions, food and culture is bursting with fun outdoor festivals, educational destinations and family friendly events. Aside from all of the vibrant selection of water activities, bike trails, preserves, beaches, golf, shopping and restaurants there are some seasonal happenings to explore. The splendor of the off-season is rooted in the perfect, mild weather and the area’s unique historical identity. Fill your Fall calendar with activities that will please the entire family.
- Lawton Stables offers horseback riding, pony rides, free animal petting farm and carriage rides.
- Coastal Discovery Museum offers natural history and animal programs including salt marsh walks, open fields, gardens and trails and a butterfly habitat
- Oatland Wildlife Center Toddler Tuesdays, nature and animal programs
- Jepson Center for the Arts includes a two-level, hands on gallery ArtZeum that encourages children to explore art using works from the Telfair collection. Savannah architecture building blocks, interactive media, magnetic sculpture wall and fun programs for kids of all ages.
- Savannah National Wildlife Refuge an educational, informative drive through a wildlife preserve. Free of charge. Includes wildlife observation points and visitor center. Open March-1-Nov 30th.
- Georgia State Railroad Museum– explore historic railroad structures and see locomotives and rolling stock. Exhibits explaining steam engines and belt-driven machinery. Occasional train rides available.
- The Sandbox includes weekly imagination hour and story time, Parents night out and family fun nights.
- Arts Centre of Coastal Carolina offers educational workshops, camps, theatre productions, visual arts and more.
- The Georgia Sea Turtle Center Jekyll Island sea turtle rehab, research and education.
- Beaufort County Library branches Story times kid-friendly events.
- Harbour Town Lighthouse & Museum First privately financed lighthouse to be built since the early 1800’s. Climb the steps and view Hilton Head Island.
- Parris Island Museum– Contains more than 10,000 sq. ft. of displays, making it one of the largest museums in the southeast. Featuring large exhibit halls on the history of recruit training. Marine Corps history and history of Parris Island.
- South Carolina Aquarium has marine life and ecosystems including a great ocean tank exhibit with sharks and a loggerhead sea turtle.
- Children’s Museum of The Lowcountry Discover an enormous art room, medieval castle, a water room, grocery store, fishing boat replica and other play stations.
Dempsey Farm Pumpkin patch, hay rides, honey from hives, corn maze and farm market. St Helena Island Open October Mon, Wed, Fri & Sat 10-6pm.
Polo For Charity at The Rosehill Equestrian Center Oct 22nd. Gates open at noon. Match at 2pm. Polo match and tailgating event.
Hilton Head Island Motoring Festival & Concours D’Elegance (Nov 3-5) A showcase with over 500 cars, boats, motorcycles and aircraft on exhibit.
Pedal Hilton Head Island (Nov 19th) A ride from the beach to the bridges and beyond. The largest bike event in the Lowcountry with 100% of funds going to the Boys & Girls Club of Hilton Head.
Annual Savannah Children’s Book Festival– Live Oak Public Libraries presents a free festival for kids Nov 18th 10-4pm.
HIstoric Bluffton Arts & Seafood Festival (Oct 14-21st) A week of event and fun activities. Bluffton’s largest annual festival.
Free Family Day at City of Savannah Dept of Cultural Affairs studio Oct 21st 10-1 pm. Indigo dying, loom weaving, pottery on the wheel, puppet making
Telfair Art Fair Nov 11-12th free open air art fair including children’s activities
Harvest Festival & Cane Grinding Oatland Wildlife Center Nov. 18th Details TBA
Lowcountry Fair & Marsh Tacky Races Nov 18th 10-4pm a unique community event on a local plantation. Presented by the Santa Elena Foundation.
Beaufort Homes For The Holidays Tour Nov 21st 11-3pm. kick off the Christmas season with the 14th Annual Homes Tour of area residences in Beaufort.
Bluffton Jack’s Haunted History Tours Oct/Nov Take a guided, walking tour with Bluffton Jack and learn about the history of Old Bluffton.
Dove St. Festival of Lights at Shelter Cove Towne Center Nov 19-Dec 31st